1. Sunshine in a vase. Two generous bunches of gerberas for £2 each from Aldi*. Perched on my mantelpiece, they are giving off the most gloriously happy glow.
*I gave my middle class self a good talking-to and lost my Aldi virginity this week. Let's face it, there's no room for snobbery values when it comes to juggling soaring food bills. (For those who don't know, Aldi is a discount supermarket which used to have a reputation for selling low quality items. It has recently won several 'Supermarket Of The Year' awards in the UK and is fast becoming more popular and well thought-of.) I have to say I was pretty impressed. My favourites were the free range chicken, the cold meats, the fresh juice, the wine (Alison, you're right, the Chilean Merlot is very quaffable indeed!) and the flowers of course - all were considerably cheaper than I'm used to paying and super quality.
I'll gloss politely over some of the other clientele but will just say that there were a few characters I definitely wouldn't like to meet down a dark alley!
2. Not having to get up early! Six more days of school holidays and counting.
3. My linen crops. They're so comfortable I have to keep doing a double take just to reassure myself that I haven't left my pyjama bottoms on!
4. This yarn. Debbie Bliss Rialto Chunky. I am head over heels in love with it. It's super soft and super smooshy and heavenly to crochet (and knit) with.
5. Hot garlic pickle. I bought it from a stall at the St Ewe Country Fair in Cornwall last weekend. It's amazing and completely transforms a simple supper of cold meats (particularly scrumptious with pork pie), jacket potatoes and salad. Not so great if you're fancying a snog with your loved one but absolutely fine if your snoggee has also indulged. ;-)
6. The nicest of my nice things? My son's triple science GCSE result, taken a year early. I'm so proud of him I could burst.
Hope your weekend is full of nice things.